Sick Kitty Update

So India had a 3 o’clock vet appointment, but when I saw him laying face down in the litter box, I just couldn’t wait any longer.  I got there at 2 (only an hour early) and the vets were all out to lunch, but I told the receptionist that he hadn’t eaten or had any water all day and seemed just so weak, and I thought perhaps they could help rehydrate him and have some food he might eat.  She took him back and said they’d call, and I went to the bank.  I was on my way to pick up Nate for lunch (yeah, lunch at 2) about 15 minutes later when the vet called and was pretty short and to the point.  India was an emergency case.  He was blocked and needed emergency surgery.  His bladder was the size of a softball (which is bigger than his head, thus explaining why he looked so much fatter than normal), and he had crystals in his urethra.  They were putting in a catheter, and I could come by later to discuss treatment and payment, but right now they had to get him saved.  I said I could be there in a few minutes, but they told me I would just have to wait in the waiting room while he was in surgery, so come back in a couple of hours.  So Nate and I had a delightful lunch at the Holy Land Market while we worried about our kitty.  Quick plug for the Holy Land Market, they rock.  Find them on Sutherland and eat their delicious food.  So I dropped Nate back off at work and headed straight to the vet.  When I got there, they called me into a little sitting room to go over what they had done and what they thought would still need to be done.  Total bill was a bit over $500 (including 3 days at the vet’s office for IV, stabilization, and observation).  POOR KITTY!!  Here was my facebook status after I left the vet (because my friend all need to know how my kitty is doing):

His urethra was blocked with some crystalization. He’s still recovering from emergency surgery, and we aren’t out of the woods yet. It was a close one, and I’m glad I listened to my instincts to take him to the vet early (about an hour before his appointment). He was in the process of kidney failure and his tempurature did not even read on the thermometer. His potassium was at a level that is nearly heart failure time. His bladder was the size of a softball. They are keeping him for a couple of days, but we still need him to wake up from the anesthesia a bit more and start to warm himself rather than relying on the heating pad. Poor kitty.

They let me come back and see him.  He was still laying there with an IV that they were running through warm water to try and raise his body temperature.  His catheter was bloody too.  He may have kidney stones of the type that don’t dissolve.  He will have to eat the urinary tract food forever, and we may have to switch him to wet food so he gets enough liquid.  Poor kitty!!  They said it was really good I brought him in when I did because we really almost lost him.  I have to admit, I cried.  I love this damn cat, despite the fact that he beats up on the dog and whines when he doesn’t get his way.  He’s still my baby.  Plus, he may have just been suffering from a long-term urinary tract infection which will make anyone bitchy.

So I left the vet, hoping that India would wake up.  I still have lots of work to do today that didn’t get done because of obvious other activities, so I sat down to do that and talked to my mom and dad.  I changed my Christmas & birthday list from “knee high socks” to “money for vet bills” (seriously, I didn’t have anything else on the list.  I’m really doing pretty good in terms of stuff), and waited to hear from the vet.  I also talked to my neighbor who fell and broke her knee cap last week.  It’s been a dangerous month, I guess.

Just a little while ago, the vet called (Callahan Drive Animal Hospital, if you were wondering.  They’re really quite terrific) to say that India was awake and flicking his tail and looking around.  YAY!!!  He’s going to be ok.  Of course, looking back to earlier today, he was definitely trying to pull an Elvis (the whole dying on the crapper thing).  I am SO relieved.  I don’t know what I would have done if I’d gotten him to the vet too late.  They were really great though.  I knew they would do what they needed to to save him.  This is really the best vet ever.  So, if you need a vet, go to Callahan Drive Animal Hospital.  Tell them Rupert, India, and Alfred’s mom sent you.


~ by rebeccaclaire on December 8, 2008.

One Response to “Sick Kitty Update”

  1. I’m so glad you updated, I was so worried after that first post since in the (little) time that I’ve known India he’s never been that type of lethargic. I used to babysit for a family that had a cat with urethra crystalization problems, and yeah, like you said, special foods and care because it is such a pain when it comes back. It’s a good thing India has such a good Mom and Dad and furry siblings!

    Hugs and health!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: